Sometimes when you have a vision, you want to see it through to the end to make it possible. We love working with customers to help those dreams and visions come true. Sometimes those journeys take a little longer than expected.
Back in 2019 before we started a whole new world, Stephanie and Bill came to us with one such idea in mind. They wanted to turn their existing old fireplace into something that would be a focal point, something that would be eye-catching, something that would be so much more efficient keeping them toasty warm in the winter. We met with them and talked about what they had in mind during the next several weeks. This end product was going to be stunning.
By January of 2020 Stephanie and Bill pretty much had all choices finalized (stone and mortar colors were picked, as well as the layout of the fireplace, the RSF Opel, and hearth). We all know what came next. Covid-19 put a lot of these plans on hold, making the order for the stone to be picked up with a few weeks lead time. By the time lock-down came around in our part of the country, a lot of jobs had to be pushed back and held up. Working with customers that are understanding in times such as those when a lot was uncertain, made this process smooth.
In July of 2020, all materials were in hand and we started the tear out of the existing gas fireplace. Unfortunately during the process of taking the venting for that fireplace out of the prefabricated chimney, we found extensive water damage. We had to stop our portion of the work and call in a general contractor that was able to take care of water-damage that was found. They needed both inside and outside work to be completed on the chimney before we came in to do any sort of installation inside of it. Due to the re-working of everything, we now needed to change the design slightly and having done that, we needed more stone ordered. Of course, this was at the beginning of the supply chain issues, and while it was a pretty hefty lead time, we would be able to do most of it once the chimney was complete.
While we were gone, the clients took that opportunity to repaint the room since it was already “torn apart”, a fresh start for this room seemed like a great idea given the world and time we all had, we well as the repairs that were like starting anew.
In October 2020, we were able to make our trip back out, chimney now being complete, painting now finished, and do our portion of the installation of the RSF Opel that was planned so many months before. We installed the Opel, chimney pipe and components, and top termination plate on the chimney. Most of the stone went up as well as the hearth pieces, but the rest would have to be put on hold until the rest of the stone was in.
Finally, in January 2021, we returned with the last of the stone to finish the job. We think it looks great, and when the customer’s finished putting the final touches to that room, it is pretty stunning.
Let us know what you think!